Saturday, January 19, 2013

Birthday Cards and Christmas Decor

My Mom's birthday is on Monday.  I already sent my Mom's birthday presents with her Christmas presents last month, like I usually do, but since my Mom is the most important woman in my life, I felt that I needed to send her a surprise as well!

My Mom's my biggest fan when it comes to my scrapbooking and craft projects.  Even if what I make is hideous, she loves it anyway.  Even though she probably has a whole closet full of cards and things that I have made her throughout the years, I made her another birthday card. :)


Papers are Authentique, angels are Melissa Frances, bling is Zva Creative and Studio Calico, letters are American Crafts.  The die cut is cut out with the Cricut and Lacy Labels cartridge.

It's hard being away from her on her special day, but hopefully soon she'll move close to us so we'll get to spend every birthday with her from now on.

Here's another birthday card that I created this week, just for fun! Paper is Crate Paper, letters are American Crafts and Pink Paislee, die cut is Heidi Swapp, flowers are Prima and Zva Creative, pearls are Zva.



I had a lot of fun last month creating new Christmas decorations for our house.  Since we painted and redecorated, I felt that our old decor didn't do our house justice.  I love the burlap trend right now, but looking at the prices of burlap stockings and other things in the stores gave me a mild heart attack!  After looking at Pinterest and a few other online blogs I realized that it really wouldn't be difficult to make my own Christmas decorations for cheap.  I ended up being able to change up our holiday decor for about $50.00!  First, I bought about 8 yards of burlap and muslin.  This cost about $30 with Hobby Lobby coupons.  I created these with them:

The tree skirt!  Sewing it was really easy, a little time consuming but not bad.

The stockings.  They look a little droopy now, it happened after our stockings were full of presents and then emptied.  I'll have to iron them before we put them up again next year.  Making these was really fun!  A little tip though, make sure to wear a face mask while you're sewing with burlap.  The little particles from the burlap were flying around everywhere, my sinuses hurt for a couple of days after I was finished!

I decorated the lights on our tree with small squares of white tulle and bought the burlap ribbon at Hobby Lobby for $10.  I cut banners out of vintage music paper and strung it on twine.  I spent about $10 on new garlands for the living room and our new decor was complete!  I already had ornaments for the tree and some of our relatives send us new ones every year.  Plus Alex always makes a couple of new ones at school each year, they always end up becoming my favorites, of course!  

These decorations are already packed into the attic until next December, but I can't wait to bring them out again AND can't wait to add even more to the decor.  I know I'll probably have more new ideas by then, I'm sure all of my crafty friends can relate, so many ideas, so little time! ;)

5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Happy Birthday Mom!! I loveeeeeeeeeee the cards! Those angels you put on hers is BEAUTIFUL!!! And LOVE LOVE LOVE the Christmas decor you made!! They are GORGEOUS!!

Alia said...

All the ruffled holiday decor you made is just so cute!

snappy scrappy said...

Wow...beautiful projects!! Lee-Ann :)

Doreen Vasquez said...

You are way too crafty for me!!!LOL! Great job w/ your decorations! I never thought to make any, whenever I want to add stuff I just buy them at the After-Christmas sales. Although it's sometimes slim pickings!
Your Cards are soooo pretty! Especially the onw for your mom! Wowzers! She will love that one for sure as it is not at all "hideous" LOL!

BRANDY said...

Everything looks awesome!!! Love the your Christmas decor even more that you made it!